Sunday, November 23, 2008

Called To Serve: Texas, Here I Come!!!

Last Wednesday was quite an eventful day for me. To start things off, I woke up with the flu which kept me from going to both work and school. In a weird way, I guess it was a tender mercy from the Lord because that meant that I was able to open my big white envelope that came in the mail from LDS church headquarters a few hours earlier than I would have if I went to work.
Around 2:30 p.m. I was talking to my mom when I looked out the window to see that the mail truck had just pulled up to my house. I went outside to get the mail and low and behold, my mission call was here! When I got inside my house I walked back to my parents' room and said to my mom, "Guess what's here?" and she said, "I could tell by the look on your face when you opened the mailbox your call came!" Mom and I were both so excited. She told me to go back outside so she could get a picture of me taking my call out of the mailbox.

Later that day, my dad called from work and asked my mom if my call had come. When she informed him of the news, dad said he would hurry home from work so I could open my call. He got home around 5:30, which is pretty early for him. As soon as dad walked through the door, he quickly called both of my sisters (we did a conference call) so that they could share the exciting moment with me. Dad was also good not only to take pictures of the event, but also a video of me reading my letter. Don't let the crying fool you, I promise they are good tears and I really am excited to serve a mission!

Just to give you a little background knowledge, at the beginning of the video my brother-in-law guessed that I would go to Mexico. Also, my mom must be inspired because about a week prior to this she guessed I would go to Texas as a Spanish-speaking missionary; way to go, Mom!




Here are some pictures from my special day:



Reading my letter while dad holds the phone up so my sisters can hear everything

Smiling through the good tears

Me and Mom

Dad and Me

Of course I had to get a picture with my little brother!

8 comments:

Brendon said...

Yay!!!! Even though we heard it over the phone, it was still so neat to watch on video.

We are so proud of you and excited for the experiences that lie ahead.

We love you!

Addi said...

Congratulations Brittany! I got chills all over watching you read your call. You will be an excellent missionary.

Woodworth Family said...

Thanks for the video and pictures! It was just as I imagined it! Yay!! Can't wait to see you!

Anonymous said...

Of course you need a picture of your little brother! He won't be so little once you get home from your mission though. Still have some growin' to do!
~Your little bro, Austin!!! XP

Patti said...

Brittney-that is so cool! I will miss you in our cohort, but I know you will be an awesome missionary. You can't get an experience like this from going to school, ha,ha! Patti

Jillian said...

Wahoo! Texas AND Spanish speaking. You will be wonderful. Way to represent the 2nd ward, and more importantly the Lord!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing that with all of us! You'll do an awsome job sharing the gospel!

Brendon said...

Who's going to keep this updated while you're gone?

Maybe I could...
...I could document your mission for you! You'd just have to be a diligent writer/picture-sender to me. I'd do it, if you're interested.

I LOVE blogging! :) :) :) ...even for someone else.